[Gocamino] NY pilgrims, other

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Tue May 25 12:04:04 PDT 2010

Hello you all,
>From time to time a group of New York City Santiago pilgrims get together at someone's place, or a restaurant, etc. We reminisce about the Camino, exchange information, books, videos, see photos, gossip, and so on.
At our meeting last week we went to a Galician restaurant very conveniently located across the street from where I live. After dinner we went to my place to continue conversing and enjoying some fine albarinho. A couple of the attendees had read about the video "The Saint and the Surgeon" in a newspaper, and when I mentioned that I had it we proceeded to watch it (it is only about an hour long). It was the second viewing for me, and I liked it more than the first time I saw it. But what impressed me were the comments of the others who watched it, particularly the males; they commented about the delicacy, and intricacy, of the relationship between an older, strong, successful father and his grown sons (which totally escaped me the first time I saw the video); the guys just talked and talked about it while the video was playing and afterwards. . Also, and much to my surprise, they agreed with the comments made, in the video, by a solitary older male pilgrim that "albergues are very fine except for the women in them" (!).  I would have never guessed that having to cover oneself  would be such a bother.
Those who saw the video at my place thought it visually beautiful and much different from most Santiago videos.  A couple of the viewers voiced what I had thought the first time I saw it: that the immediacy of the presentation actually produces one of those "you are there" sensations.  In fact, two people expressed what I  felt the first time I saw it: tingling on the feet, general leg-pains and physical bitter-sweet Camino-tiredness.
But again, the most distinctive impression made upon the male viewers was related to the two sons (one of them is the filmmaker) as they accompanied, not altogether willingly,  their strong-willed  father, in his seventies, in an arduous and almost impossible undertaking that they couldn't understand, and didn't, until the very end.

Tomorrow night I'm going to Santiago for the Memorial Day weekend.  While there last January, for the opening of the Holy Door, I offered to spend a month there this summer as a "volunteer"; while what I would be doing was not specified, my friends told me that they would find "something" for me to do.  Well, from what I'm told, they have enough volunteers to last them a lifetime, and  I expect that the last thing my friends need is to have to bother with me.  Nevertheless, I did promise, and the least I can do is go and find out whether I can be of some use in July or so...... you never know.
Meanwhile, If there is anything that I may get for you while there, or inquire about, please let me know; I'll be back next week.

Hugs!

Rosina