[Gocamino] [saintjames] response to Rosina and anyone else who wants to know

Bridget Highfill highbell at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 7 20:14:43 PDT 2010

As a public school teacher in California, who worked in the private preschool industry prior to getting my credential, I have been fingerprinted and checked for prior criminal charges many times.  I have to renew my state credential every 5 years and testify that I am free from felonious or misdemenor charges.  If I am found to lie, I will have my credential revoked.
I am not saying that the system is free from error.  However, there are safeguards built into the credentialing process that seem to be more stingent than that of priests.  I am glad that the Catholic Church,  my church, is finally taking a proactive role in protecting children.  If priests had had to verify, every 5 years, that they had not had criminal charges brought against them, our Church would not be in this horrifying situation.
Hoping for a better world,
Bridget Highfill