[Gocamino] More on Santiago

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 07:51:41 PDT 2010

Hello you all,
To respond to your queries:  The "Casa del Cabildo" is a refurbished building located in Platerias right between the Pilgrims' office and the stairs leading up to Quintana square;  that is, in front of the fountain with the horses.  When I was in Santiago at the end of December for the opening of the Holy Door the building had been totally demolished, and I was told that it had been acquired by the Archdiocese for public services, and that it would eventually house the (very nice) Pilgrims Museum that used to be in a street leading upwards from Azabacherias square.
Given the gutted state of the building when I saw it two and a half months ago it is rather surprising that the work on it appears to be finished.  At any rate, that is where the backpacks will need to be left by those pilgrims wishing to enter the Cathedral.
Further, beginning on March 29, entrance to the Cathedral will only be possible through the door on Platerias and the holy Door (the Azabacheria and Obradeiro doors will only be used to exit the Cathedral and for official ceremonies). Pocketbooks and bags will be subjected to searches, and those beyond a modest size will have to be left in storage. Fortunately, the Casa del Cabildo is right in front of the entrance doors.
John XXIII is the name of the area where tour buses, and the like,  park, and it is within easy walking distance from the Cathedral (right behind the Saint Francis church and convent); there will also be facilities for storing backpacks, etc., there.  Lastly, if need be, additional storage facilities will be available at San Martin Penario which is on Azabacherias.
The whole storage project is being handled by the Archdiocese and a storage fee is yet to be decided upon, although, it has been assured, it will be a very small one.
The restricted access to the Cathedral has been established not only for security purposes but also to limit the number of people in the Cathedral to 1,200 which has been estimated to be a "safe" maximum.

In reference to the "Santiago courses" offered by USC (Universidade de Santiago de Compostela), all I know is that this University and the University of Seville, in terms of Academic prestige and esteem, are nearly as highly regarded as the illustrious universities of Salamanca which are justifiable famous not only in Europe, but all over  Latin America as well.  I should think that any courses offered by USC would be very much worthwhile.

Lastly, you can see all the 2006-2009 pilgrims data in the Archdiocese Webpage.  The only item not posted there is the start-up point of the pilgrims.  If you are interested in such information for those years I shall be glad to send it to you.
Hugs!

Rosina