[Gocamino] Camino in New York; Pope in Santiago; Posters; Sevilla anyone?

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sat Mar 6 10:29:15 PST 2010

Camino in New York!  (With many thanks to Louise)

Now through April 12th: Treasures Along the Route of Santiago de Compostela. The World Monuments Fund and the government of Castilla y León , Spain, recreate the famous medieval pilgrimage route. At the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute, 684 Park Avenue at 68th Street. For more information, email cvergara at queensofiasi.org or call 212-628-0420.
The fabled  exhibition may be admired at the Institute Mondays to Thursdays from 10;00 A.M. TO 6:00 p.M. ; Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  There is no entrance fee.
You can reach the Institute by any area bus or by taking a local Lexington avenue subway to 68th street and walking west one block to Park Avenue.

The Pope in Santiago.

Well, it is official. The Vatican has announced that Pope Benedict will visit Santiago this Xacobean Holy Year. His Holiness will be in Compostela on November 6th. Reportedly the date was fixed, with great care, on a date when such eminent visit will cause less upheaval.  There had been rumors that the Pope might visit Santiago in July or August, but at such time the Youth Congress is expected to bring at least 50,000 young pilgrims to Santiago, and the logistics for such huge undertaking have been under preparation for some time; so, all in all, November seems to be a wonderful solution.

Posters.

All the MMX Camino posters (about 100) have been sent to you all, and to tell by your e-mails and postcards most of them have been received, even in Australia.
I have some left, small and large,  which I am going to send to those of you having pilgrims events. OK?  However, if there is still an individual pilgrim who would like to get his/her very own poster let me know right away. This is sort-of like the last call.

Sevilla anyone?

Holy Week is approaching and, as ever, Sevilla beckons (who can resist the Macarena?).  Is any of you going to be in Sevilla, or its environs, around that time?  Please let me know. Wouldn't it be great to follow those incredible processions, listen to that other-wordly music and exult afterwards with the Via de la Plata Friends
Association at the Miami bar in Triana? I myself will arrive the Saturday before Palm Sunday. As has been written a thousand times, in a hundred tongues, over centuries and centuries, there is nothing ever, anywhere, than can compare to Semana Santa en Sevilla. It has also been said: "se vive solamente una vez, si no ahora, cuando?"  (You live only once. If not now, when?)

Hugs!

Rosina