[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Is there a consensus on easiest way to get from US to St. Jean?

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 07:45:31 PST 2010

Greetings all ...

Anita and I have ventured to Europe with a two-fold mission. First off, we're
lending moral support to a friend testifying in the Demjanjuk war
crimes trail in Munich. I have been friends with Tom Blatt for over 40
years now .. he escaped a Nazi death camp at the tender age of 15.
After that, it's a winter Camino to Santiago starting, weather
permitting, in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Arrived in München safe and sound, and took the S-Bahn from the airport into
town. Stefan (Tom's attorney) fetched us from the main train station
(Hauptbahnhoff) and took us to Tom, the hotel and out of the cold, cold
rain. Had dinner with a Tom, Anita and Lawrence Douglas, a law
professor from Amherst College. He's covering the trial and writing an
article for Harper's magazine. Very bright guy with a book of his own
about the death camps' fallout. We're going to a presentation by Tom
tonight, somewhere between one to three thousand in attendance.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we're supposed to be in the courtroom
for the trial, but we'll see. Demjanjuk may 'not feel up to it', his
defense attorney is fairly lame, and they are mainly stalling and
dragging things out.

On to the Camino de Santiago when this round is through. München is a fine town, but the Road is calling.

Buen Camino,

Grant

http://www.ElCaminoSantiago.com
Resources for the Pilgrimage Road to Santiago