[Gocamino] About Santiago, 1

hme347 at aol.com hme347 at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 20:41:32 PST 2010

I applaud the establishment of the new Foundation outside the Cathedral
to deal with issues related to the Camino. I am also an advocate for
the separation of church and state as much as possible even in those
countries where they are traditionally intertwined. As everyone knows,
many of the 90% of pilgrims cited, just as this writer and many of his
friends, state that they are religious or religious/cultural pilgrims
(with emphasis on "cultural") primarily to get the Compostela which
otherwise would be denied to them.

                   'There have been complaints galore from many such
pilgrims about their perception that far too many people view the
Camino either as
                   an “athletic trek” or a “cheap Holiday” '

This is a gross overstatement of the facts.  In my experience I did not
meet one person in the hundreds I encountered who viewed the Camino in
this fashion. Only at one refugio did I hear about two people who
arrived by auto surreptitiously.  All I can say is, so what?  There
will always be people who take advantage of an inexpensive place to
stay for the night.  Usually, Hospitalieros can spot interlopers by
looking at their pilgrims' passports to see how far they may have
walked that day. It is irrational and unfair to accuse pilgrims of
having ulterior motives as stated above.

How typical of the Cathedral to provide coffee and munchies, but not
shelter for a pilgrim suffering from foot problems. It is pure hearsay
that pilgrims ask for free shelter a few times a day. But if this
really is the case, what a sad commentary it is that they are turned
away by the Office. Whatever happened to charity for the poor? Cookies?
The person who purportedly stole money from the Pilgrim's Office may
not have been a pilgrim, but some local petty thief.  The implication
that an indigent pilgrim was the "three Euro culprit" is way off base.

If the new Foundation will be more enlightened than the religionistas.
Bravo!

Howard Mendes, NYC