[Gocamino] Noticias desde Santiago

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 28 13:14:26 PST 2010

Re Yesa: That was an issue as far back as my first trip in 2000, when I did the Arles route. I was very confused when I read "Yesa No." It sounded like a bad pun in English, but I soon learned about the  farms and villages that had to be abandoned, including one that was noted for its refugio.

In regard to development, in 2000 I saw signs announcing the development of a new, modern, residential  community. I believe that it was somewhere a little to the west of Santo Domingo de Calzada. When I went through there a couple of years later, construction had begun and the route had to be detoured around it. On the next trip through that region, in 2008, it was all complete, but with no signs of life. There was no one on the brand new golf course and most of the housing units (condos?) had for sale signs on them. There was no sign of any retail stores. I assume that, if there were any residents, they would have to go into Santo Domingo de Calzada to do their shopping. There as an old village a short way past the development and I stopped there for a snack in a small bar. That was the only place where I saw any activity. The village itself was quite small and did not appear to have any facilities other than the bar.

My impression is that such developments were financed by funds from the EU and that there was a lot of resentment in rest of the EU over such projects. There ;seems to be a strong feeling that it is just money going to waste, and it appears to me that this view is correct. Even the improvements in the infrastructure of the camino itself seem to have been more for the benefit of the contractors rather than the community. Some of the work was poorly done and the maintenance is often inadequate.

Bob S.