[Gocamino] Abraham's Path update

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 03:36:31 PST 2010

Hundreds of people have walked Abraham's Path (the Masar Ibrahim al Khalil)
this fall. Groups included a class of American middle-school-aged poets.
International university students from four countries joined Palestinian
students for the second International Youth Walk. And a group of potential
trip leaders from the US and the UK walked in Jordan and Palestine.
A team of staff and partners opened the complete segment of the path
stretching across Palestine from Nablus to Hebron in November 2010, a
testimony to the local leadership of the path in Palestine.
The section of the path in Turkey, Hz. Ibrahim Kultur Yolu, is one of a
handful of trails that will be supported by the Turkish Ministry of
Tourism's new Association for Cultural Routes and Walking Paths.
The UK Friends of Abraham's Path is now officially established in London -
expect to hear more soon!
The oak tree is the new symbol of the Abraham's Path.  In one story of
Abraham, he was sitting beneath the oak trees of Mamre near Al Khalil or
Hebron when three travelers approached him. Only after he had welcomed them
and offered them a meal, did he discover the three strangers were angels. It
is because of stories like this that Ibrahim is associated across the Middle
East with the values of hospitality and friendship. And it is because of
this story that we have chosen the oak tree, which has been beautifully
rendered for us by designer Tarek Atrissi.

This holiday season,
<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?AbrahamsPathInitativ/79452a2a31/b9c8374dc3/09dc4fde4a>you
can join their Global Giving
campaign<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?AbrahamsPathInitativ/79452a2a31/b9c8374dc3/b6775a9def>and
help them train seven young people from rural villages in Palestine as
outdoor guides. This program will support eco-tourism in the Middle East and
help create alternative sources of income for communities along the path.
Currently, some of these communities struggle with unemployment rates of 40
percent or more.
One participant, Khalil Sharab, 25, is from a small village in Palestine. He
told us, "I became involved in the Masar because it was a job opportunity."
Now,  Khalil also sees guiding as an opportunity to change negative
perceptions of Palestine. "I want travelers to have a good image both of
Palestine and Palestinians. I want them to live and eat like we do, and
experience our lives by being with us." Support Khalil by clicking
here.<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?AbrahamsPathInitativ/79452a2a31/b9c8374dc3/10e695b429>
Or
purchase Global Giving gift
cards<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?AbrahamsPathInitativ/79452a2a31/b9c8374dc3/371e8ef0c6>for