[Gocamino] - Ultreya rental cell phones

Tim tim at errecaldia.com
Sun Aug 8 01:30:13 PDT 2010

Hi Grant,
    I went up the hill today as far as the point where the Route
Napoleon leaves the paved road and the service is from Orange.
I think that, in the main, the best service as far as this area goes is
with Orange, but I wouldn't like to say as far as further North from
here on the Chemin.  The one point worth remembering is that Orange
being France Telecom have the largest network in France closely followed
by SFR.  Orange also provide a fairly comprehensive service in Spain so
that, if you bought your SIM card in France you could probably get by
with it in Spain but it would be good to hear from some persons further
down the Camino for confirmation (using Camino for Spain and Chemin for
France) .  The EU has forced all the service providers to reduce their
'roaming' fees and so crossing from one network to another is not so
horrendously expensive as it was a couple of years ago.  One point to
remember, if using a phone that has been provided by a service provider
on a contract, is that these phones are often locked to that provider.
This lock can be removed but it is wise to have that done before making
any other arrangements, buying a SIM card for example.
    I think that it would make sense at this point for me to make an
observation as to my practice when accepting bookings and the reasons
behind it.  I now receive the majority of my bookings in one form or
another via the phone, and the internet.  In the case of Pilgrims they
usually reserve rooms about two or three days before their arrival if
they are en-route rather than starting from SJPdP.  Because there has
been an increase of people making reservations and then not arriving I
now insist on a mobile phone number.  This also allows me to contact
them if there is a problem here, my being forced to leave the premises
at their expected arrival time for example, or if they are late
arriving.  I also ask clients to contact me if they think their pre
indicated arrival time is no longer possible.  Many of these
reservations start off as text messages asking for availability which I
answer via Skype testing service.  This is quick and cheap  for both
parties.  The huge difference in practice between France and Spain is
that in France advance reservations are the norm  whereas in Spain  the
hostels do not in the main accept reservations.  The phone is therefore,
in my opinion, of much greater benefit on the Chemin than on the Camino.
Regards
Tim