[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: - Ultreya rental cell phones

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Fri Aug 6 08:40:48 PDT 2010

Hi Sil,
As I remember, all three pilgrims that died in January 2007 (A Brasilian, a Frenchman and a Dutch woman)
were carrying cell phones. The Brasilian pilgrim fell and, apparently, lost consciousness, the French pilgrim got lost and the Dutch woman took ill; their cell phones did not avail them any assistance.
They were found, as most pilgrims in distress tend to be, by other pilgrims.
I don't think that any technological gizmo, or whatever, can substitute ordinary common sense and prudence.
Now in my sixties, and never in the best of health,  I have walked the Camino four times, totally alone, carrying nothing but the absolute essentials. There has always been a pilgrim on sight when I've needed help, or one would come along soon enough.
-The community of pilgrims, depending on one another...... how very right! ....And the quietude and chance to reflect on so many things blessedly away from the hustle and bustle of the busyness of every day life and its machines.-...... free and unwired!....... What bliss!
When my son and some friends, armed with every possible available gadget, attempted the Camino last year they missed 97% of it by being on their cellphones, or whats-have-you, all the time talking to their friends. They might as well have gone to Palm Beach. Most of their recollections when they came back were about their phone conversations with this or that friend or acquiantance in this or that circumstance.  One of them told me that as he hugged the Apostle's image in the Cathedral he was describing the "experience" to his girlfriend in NY by phone!
Good grief!
 Well, someday somehow these different appoaches and points of view will settle into some sort of accomodation, one hopes.
Hugs!
Rosina