[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Knee deep in tomato sauce

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 14:59:58 PDT 2010

I;m with you there, Rebekah,
I prefer my tomatoes in marinara or arrabiata pasta sauce, and their juice in bloody Marys.
But waste there will be.
In Siena, after the "Palio", the thousands of people there throw pieces of oranges, or squeeze them on each other..... zillions of perfectly good oranges. The two Palio races, also, take place in August.
Would the heat have anything to do with it?
By the way, the three greatest and most beautiful  squares in the world are agreed to be, by the consensus of  urban esthetes groups to be 1) San Marco in Venice, 2) Siena central square (where the Palio is held, and 3) Obradoiro in Santiago.
I wonder why.  While no one in his/her right mind will ever dispute the unique glories and magnificent beauty of San Marco, I, for one, don't see much in the slanted Siena square other than the fact that the Palio is held there. Obradoiro, of course, is simply stunning.
Curiously, of the three squares only Obradoiro is free from commercial establishments.  San Marco, of course, is ringed by stores and restaurants, as is the Siena square.  Perhaps one may consider the Parador a commercial establishment, but it should be remembered that the place was established by Queen Isabel way back when as a refuge for pilgrims.  To this very day, an indicia of its pilgrims' refuge origins remains in that up to 10 Compostela-bearing pilgrims are entitled to free meals daily at the Parador and, under certain circumstances, other accommodations as well.  To get the free meals the Compostela holding pilgrim will need to go, early in the morning, to the Parador garage to secure a place. I am told that the free meals served, and the wine, are the same as those served to the Parador's staff, and that they are first rate.
Hugs!
Rosina