[Gocamino] A few Holy Year stats

Tim tim at errecaldia.com
Thu Aug 5 07:52:56 PDT 2010

Hi Sil and all,
    This is very interesting and very confusing, because here in Saint
Jean Pied de Port we have not seen this huge increase.  In fact, up to
the end of June, there had been little or no increase at all.  Those
wishing to be in Santiago for the last week in July would have had to
leave here by the end of June.  The figures are 11,891 for 2010 and
11,565 for up to the end of June 2009.  My own observations for the
month of July don't make me think that there is any great increase for
July in the offing.
    So it would appear that Northern Europe is not the source of this
increase in numbers.  I feel sorry for those who have invested in new
albergues in the town it must be quite heartbreaking for them.  I have
seen no reduction in business nor any great increase but then again I
don't welcome pilgrims specifically and many of my 'Pilgrim' clients
tend to use me as a 'halfway house' a break for two or three days in a
private room with it's own bath and shower facilities before setting out
once again.
    As I say it's interesting and I await your comments.
Tim