[Gocamino] - Ultreya rental cell phones

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 11:57:38 PDT 2010

I'll repeat here my reply to Wilna:

Quote:
I don't consider the use of a cell phone to be "fun." I would be using it to contact places of accommodation. The internet is rarely available in the little villages along the route - it is hardly a substitute for a telephone, especially in emergency situations. There may be great magic on a pilgrimage, but when you are 85yo and lost in a heavily wooded area, it is not all that wonderful. I don't exactly relish living moments such as that.
Unquote

Of course that particular situation was not one where a cell phone would have been much help, but I  could have used it to let the gîte owner know that I might be quite late and to hold my reservation.

In Spain, I never felt any urgent need to have a cell phone, but France was a different situation. In both countries, the public telephones are now inadequate and, in France, I found the internet to be laboriously slow, since the French keyboards are radically different from the QWERTY keyboards. Also, the internet is not much use for making reservations (a necessity in France), since many of the facilities do not use the internet.

Bob S.