[Gocamino] rental cell phones

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Tue Aug 3 14:57:40 PDT 2010

You are better off buying a cheap unlocked gsm quad band cell phone off Ebay, $30 or so, and then buying a prepaid chip for the country when you arrive.  Or wait until you get there and buy an inexpensive cell phone there.   Always cheaper to use a phone with a number in the country you are in.

Note that an unlocked gsm quad band cell phone will work in the USA, Europe, almost anywhere on the planet where cell service can be found.  The local phone number is built into the SIM card/chip.

I have a couple of Motorola quad band gsm unlocked cell phones, and I have used them in Mexico, Argentina, and Chile without difficulty.  The chips usually cost $15, and then you buy $20 (or 20 euros) of time, and you are good.  Cell phone stores are everywhere.

I had