[Gocamino] (no subject)

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 30 08:21:12 PDT 2009

A few comments. Re footware: This can be highly individual. I've done
several  thousand km of camino by now and have never used boots, just
low cut walking shoes. I have never had a problem with them. If there
had been much snow — yes — then I would have wanted boots. In the
spring of 2007, the GR 65  from LePuy to Condom was particularly wet
and there was a lot of deep mud, but my low cut NB walking shoes were
completely adequate to deal with it.

Walking sticks: For me, these were absolutely essential. I didn't
bring them, since I went all carry-on, and intended to get a pair in
LePuy, but couldn't find the lower cost ones. I ended up going a day
and a half until I could get them in Saint-Privat-d'Allier, another
very scenic town. The only bad part was the descent to the valley of
the Allier. I don't suppose that they are really all that important
for young legs. When I was doing local mountain hikes 20 and more
years ago, I carried only an ice axe, but it is a bit different now.
Next month I plan to bring a pair of canes to see how those work.

Reservations: Yes, indeed. At one point it was necessary to make them
five days ahead. And MMDD is the place to find the information about
them.

Transbagage: There is some question there. I used them only once, on a
previous non-pilgrim trip, and it was fine. However, I have heard a
few negative reports about the service, especially for those who have
signed up for a period of several days with them. Mostly, the feedback
has been positive.

Bob S.