[Gocamino] Disappointed in "I'm Off Then"

Dean kf4yxh at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 11:44:30 PDT 2009

I received "I'm Off Then" on Thursday through Amazon and finished it
yesterday.

I did not particularly enjoy Kerkeling's writing.  I'm glad I read it.  It
have no doubt that he recorded his thoughts and feelings accurately.  I did
laugh once or twice due to his descriptions.  I cried on a few occasions but
it was from remembering my experiences from 2008.

The biggest impacts it had on me were marveling about the difference in
Spain and the Camino from 2001 to 2008 and how different the German
sensibility must be from mine.

Unlike Kerkeling there was no one who I tried to avoid on the Camino.
Occasionally I kept my distance because of the smell but I didn't actually
try to avoid them.  When I felt any anger the Camino quickly taught me that
the problem was within me.  The albergues were mostly very pleasant,
excepting Mt. Gozo.

Like Kerkeling I felt that everyone I met was trying to do the right thing.
They may have been mistaken in what that was or failed in accomplishing it
or had a different idea of what the right thing was from me.  That to me is
the spirit of the Camino, everyone trying to do the right thing.

Buen Camino

Dean G.