[Gocamino] A Camino Completed!

Virginia vjpulver at pulverpages.com
Sun Jun 14 07:46:58 PDT 2009

Ahhhhh yes, the prison matron of Rabe de la Calzada.  I stayed there, poor unsuspecting pilgrim that I was.  And yes, what Rita and Wes said is consistent with my experience.

Several times on my Camino I ran into pilgrims who had shared my night in Rabe and they were still dealing with some residual anger about the experiences with Michelle (she has actually walked all the Caminos in Spain and proudly displays her certificates on the wall of her wonderful Camino museum.  (I must say her spouse is a delightful man - filled with good humor and good stories...)

I should have known it would be bad when she initially grilled me ("Are you happy?" to which I responded, "Yes, I'm happy." She said, "You don't look happy!"  I was inclined to stand up, salute and say "Yes Ma'am, I'm happy, Ma'am!"  but I refrained.) and she told me in no uncertain terms that I was not a pilgrim, but a tourist ("look at you bracelets and your long hair..these are not pilgrim ways!")  There were privacy violations (she charged, with nary a knock, into the bathroom to micro-manage how one woman was managing her shower!)

There was great concern about bedbugs so Michelle had a rather complicated system of bagging our things and lots of rules about how to conduct ourselves during our stay.  One of my fellow inmates (oops, I mean travelers) broke into tear tears after a reprimand from this woman.

Interestingly enough, she wrote a few motivational words on my pilgrim credential.

Yes, Michelle reminded me of a drill sergeant(I am retired US Air Force).

I will share an extended version of my stay in my blog - I am slowly transcribing my notes so it will be a while. Suffice it to say, I would certainly not recommend staying at her lovely home...

Just a bit of my experience in Rabe...

Despite this, I say: life is good...

"Ginn"
Virginia J. Pulver
In Sunny Santa Fe
http://pilgrimageofgratitude-mycamino.blogspot

______________EXCERPT FROM ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS_______________
...We also found the woman at the albergue in Rabe de la Calzada to be