[Gocamino] abbreviated Camino and medical help...

Wes & Rita wesrita at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 10:09:48 PST 2009

Thanks for all the responses to our update on our medical emergency on the Camino.  Why did we not seek help in Spain?  Sheer panic.  Not knowing much Spanish and not knowing what was going on, all we could think about was getting home and seeing our own, much trusted, physician who had previously treated Wes for high blood pressure (my assumption at the time being that it had something to do with that).  Surely we would never have made a transatlantic flight if we had dreamed it might be what it turned out to be -- a pulmonary embolism.  If we were to face another medical problem while on the Camino (oh please, no, not again!), and knowing now what good experiences folks had in seeking medical help in Spain, we would definitely seek help wherever we were.

And thanks for all the information about wintry conditions in the high country in April.  We are moving our starting date into May as a result.  We were trying to avoid the crowds but crossing the Pyrennees in deep snow does not appeal!  I am grateful for all of you perigrinos who have been so helpful and supportive!

Rita and Wes