[Gocamino] FW: [saintjames] The Holy Year

Johnnie Walker johnniewalker-santiago at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 27 23:26:02 PST 2009

Hola

I'm off today to walk from Ponferrada arriving in Santiago on 7 January to celebrate the Holy Year. Rosina if you are still around then I'll buy the Johnnie Walker.

I've written about volunteering in the Pilgrims' Office on my blog for those who are interested. A few of us are already committed to working there over the summer months. E mail me if I can be of assistance but it is all perfectly straightforward. The Pilgrims' Office has said that they will provided expenses for meals and I know they will try to help find cheaper accommodation but the practicalities of that for any significant number of people may prove too difficult.

The Pilrgims' Office has already "staffed up" in preparation for the Holy Year and I'm sure people will also volunteer. The many associations who run albergues will also welcome volunteer hospitaleros for pilgrims who can take some time to help during the next year.

Rosina it would be good to chat about providing medals for animals. I suspect it will be opposed and rightly so if it is percieved to do anything which may increase the numbers of domenstic animals on the routes. There may also be an interesting argument around what defines a "pietatis causa".

Hasta Santiago. Hasta 2010.

Best wishes

John

www.johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com