[Gocamino] The Holy Year

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Thu Dec 24 08:00:36 PST 2009

Hello you all, again.
 I will be leaving for Santiago next Saturday in order to participate in the pre-opening of the Holy Door festivities which commence on Sunday.
>From what I've heard the place is already a-jumping and full of novel activities:  the Italians are reproducing the famous Nativity scene ("Presepio") in the Alameda, the Germans have established their spectacular Christmas markets all over the place, the Austrians have reproduced their breath-taking chandelier-style street illuminations  and the 5,000 bag-pipe players are rehearsing all over the city.
I suspect that in the end it will all come down to what has always been: the simple opening of the Door and its meaning  to those who believe.
At the last opening there was also a lot of hoopla (but not quite as much) with the King and the Queen in attendance, but what mattered was the celebration inside the church as the door came down and the explosive joy outside on Quintana Plaza with its (free) cava, all sorts of music and dancing (regional and otherwise), friendship, hugs and kisses everywhere,  and mind-boggling fireworks.  I remember writing to someone at the time that I have never, in my long life, had been as happy.

-It is fair to say that during Christmas time in ordinary years  Santiago is as lovely as a veritable Christmas card, with its stone buildings and streets glistening after the rain and reflecting the festive illuminations, and a rosy atmosphere all around that feels like an embrace from the  thousands of souls lingering there-

The much talked about documentary will commence filming on December 31 by taking-in the festivities.

Lastly, the Xunta conservatively estimates that during the Holy Year more than 350,000 pilgrims will receive the Compostela and that about 10 million visitors are expected in the City.

I will be in Santiago and its environs for 2 or 3 weeks. If there is anything I can get while I'm there for any of you, or find out about, just let me know. I'll be glad to do it.

And again,

Have a very, very Merry Christmas!

Rosina