[Gocamino] Le Puy to SJPP

robert ward robtward99 at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 5 15:03:47 PST 2009

Hi, In October I walked eleven days, from Le Puy to Figeac, a
wonderful piece of Camino (dying to get back to do the rest - to the
pyrenees, that is - over the next couple of years.)

I used a TopoGuide, published by the French Federation of Randonnees,
which I bought at the Le Puy tourist office and is available over the
Internet for 15 euros (plus, I suppose, a ton of handling...). I chose
it over Miam-Miam because the maps are extremely detailed, plus there
are many beautiful photos and fairly extensive historical and cultural
notes packed into a very slim volume. Disadvantage? It actually takes
three of these slim volumes to get you all the way to the Pyrenees. I:
Le Puy to Figeac. II: Figeac to Moissac. III: Moissac to "Roncesvaux".
Here's the internet page if you'd like to take a look.

http://www.ffrandonnee.fr/boutique/catalogue-topos-guides.aspx?t=gr&v=65

I also picked up an invaluable guide covering (again) the Le Puy -
Figeac portion of the route, which is compiled and printed up annually
by the tourist board, so contains even more complete and up-to-the-minute info than the
published guides. It's absolutely free - e-mail them, they might
send you a copy.

info at ot-lepuyenvelay.fr      www.ot-lepuyenvelay.fr

As you've probably heard, this part of the way is extremely rural. I
went for hours some days without seeing a soul - unless cows have
souls. (I imagine they do.) The towns at either end, Le Puy and Figeac,
are treasures. And the food, the wine...  [sigh]

robertward.ca