[Gocamino] Sending things

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 12:06:00 PDT 2009

To answer your queries: no, I haven't used organized backpack transporters and do not know of any (except, perhaps, going up O Cebreiro).
I usually know where I'll be in two or three days time and send ahead my backpack, keeping with me a very tiny one with the absolutely bare essentials. I tell?the proprietors of wherever inn or small hotel I'm staying that I want to send my backpack ahead, and they?get in touch with a taxi going in that direction that will take it for a couple of bucks. On occasion I've been a day or so late in arriving to the designated place, ?but I've always found the backpack waiting.
When, and if, I buy something bulky, or finished with a book, or realize that there are things in the backpack they I won't be using, I just go to the post office and mail them to myself to General Delivery in Santiago.
I have done this in four Caminos and have never lost a single thing.
Often I have seen taxis dropping off a lot of backpacks in front of albergues that haven't opened yet, and have surmised that their owners will show up walking later in the day. But even I, risk-taking New Yorker that I am, wouldn't send my backpack where it would lie unattended.
I used to think that my speaking Spanish gave me?a significant advantage over other pilgrims?in making these arrangements, but I;ve?learned that friends of mine whose Spanish is limited to "menu del dia" and "vino de verano" have made the same arrangements without? difficulty. One of them told me that if she got stuck with the language she merely went to a tourist information office (which, as we know, are everywhere) and had the people there help her out.
The taxi thing is common, and inexpensive, because the taxis are going in that directin anyway, so to them performing such a service provides them with a little windfall.?
Hugs!
Rosina