[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: July 25th, 2009

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 16:37:33 PDT 2009

I should have made it clear that the?suggestions in my earlier message?were meant for three female pilgrims in my age group who plan a pilgrimage in the autumn.
What I advised has worked very well, indeed, for me and other pilgrims around my age.? Those of you who have been on the Camino in the late afternoon may have noticed that generally the pilgrims walking at that time of the day tend to be older and to carry light backpacks.?
It isn't always feasible?for some of us to partake of the facilities of an albergue; I, for one, suffer from severe insomnia which compels me to get up and read for a while several times throughout the night.? Others may be over sensitive to noises.?Others revere their privacy. ?Some pilgrims that I know liked the albergues a lot and didn't mind the lack of privacy, but couldn't cope with the surrounding noises, particularly the snoring.
It would appear that falling?asleep for some people becomes harder with age, and noisy surroundings certainly would aggravate the difficulties And, as we all know, walking becomes a painful burden when sleep-deprived.
As to the backpacks, my own have never weighed more than 12-14 pounds (5 kilograms), but even that modest weight is too much for my 100 pound frame. There may also be considerations of health. Some of us have been ordered by our doctors never to lift anything that weighs more than 1/20th of our body weight, and certainly never to carry?such "weighty" ?items for long.
It is good, then, to know that there are viable and inexpensive?options.
Of course the albergues can, and should,?be enjoyed. I love to visit them and have dinner there or just hang out with the hospitaleros and other pilgrims, and I never cease to encourage young people to go to the Camino and stay in the albergues, emphasizing that besides the lofty purposes of the pilgrimage they can have a lot of fun at the albergues?and meet guys and gals.
Finally, If you can read Spanish you can bring up the newspapers around the Camino, like "El Correo" and "La Voz" and you will see they they are full of reports of, and complaints about,?overcrowded albergues and long waiting lines, with, as they point out, "the worse yet to come". By their nature newspapers are sensationalistic and most of their dire predictions can be taken with a grain of salt, but the overcrowding of the albergues is also being bemoaned by municipal authorities and pilgrims.
So far this year the number of Compostela-receiving pilgrims is quite larger than any other previous non-Holy Year.
Hugs!

Rosina

.

?