[Gocamino] 2007 Pilgrims

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 10 08:30:26 PST 2008

Rosina,

It must be an Alpine thing. When we visited my mother's home canton of
Appenzell in Switzerland, we learned that "Silvester" (they  spell it
sylvester) was a really big thing. But in Appenzell it is a bit more
rustic. Some of the men dress up to look like wild wood spirits,
decorated with lichens and pieces of bark. We have a couple of CDs of
the event and you can hear the barking of dogs as a background to the
rather wild music and singing. I suppose that it is in keeping with
the Swiss tradition of the Appenzellers being regarded as comic,
rustic characters. Quite a contrast to the sophistication of the
alpine cities like Geneva and Vienna.

Bob S.