[Gocamino] Fwd: Bay Area Pilgrim Walk with Alison Raju

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 29 11:55:02 PST 2008

Forwarded by request of original sender:

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Lin Galea" <lin at lingalea.com>
Date: February 29, 2008 11:43:47 AM PST
To: "'Robert Spenger'" <rspenger at earthlink.net>
Subject: Bay Area Pilgrim Walk with Alison Raju

Bay Area Pilgrim Walk
With Alison Raju
Sunday, March 16th
9:30 – 6:00 (approx)
Ferry Building, San Francisco

Hola Bay Area Pilgrims:

Join us in sharing our beautiful Bay Area with Alison Raju, author of
several guides to the Camino de Santiago and one of the Vice Chairman
of the Confraternity of St. James.  Alison will be visiting California
for the Gathering in Santa Barbara.  For those of you who can’t make
it to the Gathering, here is your chance to visit with Alison in person.

  Meet at the statue of Ghandi on the bay side of the Ferry Bldg.
Coffee and pastries are available at Peets, Frog Hollow, and Acme
Bread Company.  At 9:30 sharp we will depart along the Embarcadero, up
and over Coit Tower, through North Beach, Russian Hill and the Marina
District to the Presidio.  We'll stop at the Lucas Campus for coffee
and a break.  From there we will cross through the Presidio over the
Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin side of the Golden Gate National
Recreation Area, down into Sausalito for a ferry ride back to San
Francisco.

This is an all day, 11 – 12 mile walk, and a great way to see the City.
Dress in layers, wear good walking shoes, bring a bag lunch and water.

The Ferry Bldg is easily accessible by public transportation:
Bart (Embarcadero Station) (www.bart.gov/) fewer trains on Sunday,
check schedule!
CalTrain (exit at the SF end of the line, then  N Judah to Embarcadero
Station or 15-20 minute walk around the embarcadero to the Ferry
Bldg). (www.caltrain.com)
Ferries from Vallejo (www.baylinkferry.com/), Larkspur Landing &
(goldengateferry.org/schedules/) & Alameda (www.transitinfo.org/)

Parking is metered all along the Embarcadero.  A block or two in, the
meters are free on Sunday. To get the free spots, get there early!
There are several lots within two blocks of the Ferry Bldg.

Questions and RSVP:  contact Lin Galea (415-441-5951) or lin at lingalea.com

Alison Raju  is a former teacher of French, German and Spanish in a
Community College-type institution in Nottingham (England).  She made
her first pilgrimage to Santiago in 1990, starting from Le Puy-en-
Velay in France.  Since then she has written several guide books to
different pilgrim routes, three of which have run into further
editions.  These include The Way of St James: Pyrenees – Santiago –
Finisterre; The Way of St. James: Le Puy to the Pyrenees; The Way of
St. James, Via de la Plata: Seville/Granada to Santiago and a medieval
pilgrim route in Norway:  Pilgrim Road to Nidaros. St. Olav’s Way:
Oslo to Trondheim.  All of these are published by Cicerone Press.
Alison is one of the Vice-Chairmen of the Confraternity of St. James
and has worked many times as hospitalera in different pilgrim refugios
in Spain.