[Gocamino] Vid de la Plata pilgrimage. Novel approach

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 09:11:28 PST 2008

Hello you all,

The Friends Association of Seville will conduct a Holy Week pilgrimage to Santiago which will allow those interested to complete the pilgrimage in about one week:

Pilgrims will leave Seville at 7:00 a.m. on March 16 by bus. Upon arrival in Santiago they will register either at the Monte del Gozo albergue (Option A which includes breakfast and dinner but no private bathrooms nor towels or bed sheets) or the Monte del Gozo hotel (option B includes breakfast and dinner and  full hotel service including private bathroom, TV, phones, etc.).

>From Santiago the pilgrims will go by bus to Croce de Marza from where they will walk to Portomarin (14 kms.), there they will reboard the bus to go visit historic and noteworthy churches and monasteries before returning to Santiago for dinner and to spend the night. The next morning they will be bused to Porto Marin to commence walking to Palais de Rei (25.6 kms) where they will be picked up to go visit notable sites and to return to Santiago. The next morning they will go to Palais de Rei from which they will walk to Arzua; the next morning they will be bused to Arzua to walk to Pedrouzo and the next morning they will be bused to Pedrouzo to walk the final stage to Santiago.  Those participating will have a full free day in Santiago before walking and a full free day after.  They will then return to Seville after having spent seven nights at Monte del Gozo.

Among the churches and monasteries to be visited will be, of course, Samos, that has recently opened a museum, the beautiful Monxes de Sobrado, and many others. Since this will take place during Holy Week I’m sure that those who wish to maintain religious observances will be insured the opportunity to do so.

The full price, including travel, rooms and breakfast and dinner is 290 Euros for option A and 390 Euros for option B.  All accommodations are double occupancy.

This seems to me a tremendous opportunity for those pilgrims who want to undertake the pilgrimage while polishing, or learning, their Spanish. That the effort has been organized, and it is sponsored by the non-profit Seville Association of Friends of Santiago which is, absolutely, a non-profit organization, seems to me highly commendable. Those accompanying, and guiding, the pilgrims are volunteers and, I understand, a bus company is contributing the bus, or buses, at cost. That most of those going are surely to be life-loving Andalucians is a further recommendation.

I myself will arrive in Seville for Holy Week on the 14th of March, but much as I would like to go with the group I am pretty much tied to Seville from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday (the only non-professional organizations to which I belong are the Arch confraternity in Santiago and the Confraternity of the Macarena in Seville, and I have duties to perform).  But if anyone here is going to be in Seville or its environs at that time (…..John?...) do let me know. Maybe we can have a couple of manzanilla glasses at the Miami bar.

If you are interested in the above I'll call the Friends and ask them to reserve a spot for you. But it'll have to be very, very,  soon.

Hugs!

Rosina