[Gocamino] Eunate

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:58:29 PST 2008

When you look closely at the Iglesia* de Santa Maria de Eunate* (Murazabal)
and most monuments along the caminos you will see hundreds of medieval mason
signs carved into the stones, made by the stonecutters, mason builders and
the master masons who built churches and other monuments throughout Europe.
Some marks were the registered signatures of the mason (and ensured thathe
would be paid for the stones he laboriously cut), others are marks to
indicate the placement of each stone and others have are more esoteric
symbols.  I became a 'firmado en la piedra' twitcher on my first camino and
have collected photographs of over 200 signs - the largest of which is a
hexagon on the wall of the collegiate church in Roncesvalles. The woman who
runs the museum in Roncesvalles explained that many of the stones used to
build the 'new' church were recycled from the walls of the original hospice
so any signs in the stones pre-date the church building.
Happy sign hunting!

--
Sil
www.amawalker.blogspot.com