[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Roncesvalles to SJPP

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 13:26:23 PST 2008

I heartily agree. I did the Arles route first and thoroughly enjoyed
the Somport crossing. I did the Route Napoleon a couple of years later
and was very disappointed by the crossing. After reading so many
glowing reports, I didn't expect it to be just rolling pasture lands
with a few beech groves. On the Somport crossing it helps to have a
little bit of luck. I was fortunate to have clear weather and the
nearby snow-covered peaks sparkled in the bright sunlight on the day
that I crossed. The two previous days (Oloron to Sarrance and Sarrance
to Urdos) had been cloudy,  but it was still beautiful with occasional
views of the river and, through the mists, seeing the sheep grazing in
the deep valleys. It is a much more rugged area than the Pyrenees
further west.

Bob S.