[Gocamino] Camino Primitivo

Philippe pip pips124 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 17 09:21:33 PDT 2008

Hi everyone

I came back from the Camino Primitivo yesterday.   Disappointingly, I had to interrupt my  walk after two weeks ( I started in Bilbao , finished in la Isla),

Looking back, I think I was unprepared for the strenuous terrain.  This trail, I found,  is harder than the Camino Frances  ( and that is before I even hit the Oviedo-Melide section  )  .

Also, the high number of tourists ( to be expected of course in August ) put a lot of pressure on the overnight accomodation system.  Since there were more pilgrims on the road than beds available in albergues,  other types of accomodation such as youth hostels, private albergues, cheap B&B etc...  were often reserved ahead or full by early afternoon.This led to an unpleasant rush for accomodation each day.

So I have learned that the month of August should be avoided on some portions of this camino ( particularly the Asturias ).

For those like me who are not the fittest, I have also learned that I should have taken it easier,   reduce the number of kilometers walked each day whenever possible ( not always an option ) and/ or take a days rest now and then.

I walked the Camino Frances from Le Puy twice, the Camino Aragones and the Via de la Plata,  and I found the Primitivo to be the more strenuous of them  ( unless I am simply getting older ! )

On the positive side,   the people I met on the trail were the very kindest, They would go out of their way to help in ways that were truly touching.   Perhaps they have not been overwhelmed  by the sheer number of pilgrims seen on the Camino Frances.

Also,  the sceneries on the Cantabria and Asturias parts ( those I walked) were absolutely stunning at times.    Probably the most beautiful camino I can think of.

So next year, I hope to complete what I sadly had to leave behind this year

Philippe