[Gocamino] "pack weight" — a rant

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Thu Aug 14 21:39:51 PDT 2008

I have some sympathy for your view that "pack weight" is very
ambiguous.  I have done the spreadsheet thing in the past, but not for
the camino.  I spent a lot of time on a spreadsheet of climbing gear
weight when I got an article published in a national magazine.  It was
an interesting exercise, and identified the two or three key items
that represented most of the weight.  I would be interested in seeing
a spreadsheet of weights of a camino pack.

For those who want to report a "pack weight", please report what is
included and excluded from that weight, especially clothing. I think
that omitting food and water makes sense as well.

The other problem with "pack weight" is that it should vary with the
season.  If you are
going in the summer, your clothing weight should go down, but water
should go up.  Spring
and fall should have more clothing, in case it snows or otherwise gets
nasty.  Winter
should have a lot more clothing, etc.

But the biggest factor may be just what one person thinks is an
essential vs. what
somebody else regards as an essential.  One guidebook might be less
than half a pound,
while others could be heavier.  I met one Spaniard who had a small
card that listed the
cities along the camino, and no guidebook at all!

Clothing is another variable, where one person might carry more
clothing, just to be
safe.  But who can say whether a sweater is excess or essential?  I
spent years with
mountain rescue, saving people who were unprepared, so I tend to bring
more that many
other folks, but it is based on experience.  I think that I only had
one article of
clothing that I did not wear, and in hindsight I should have worn it
at one of the colder
refugios.

I will be closely considering the weight for my next camino, and am
buying light pants
and a lighter pack.

Richard