[Gocamino] The Santiago shell and the Pope

Rosina blaroli at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 08:53:50 PDT 2008

Hello you all,
You probably know that Pope Benedict just concluded?a whirlwind visit to the U.S., which included two days in New York City. That an 81-years old person can carry such frantic 14-hours per day activities, with jet-lag thrown in, is simply astonishing.? He looked, and sounded, very good.
His visit was reported in many TV channels, some of them on a 24-hour basis. Naturally, the commentators had many hours to fill?talking about Pope-related things, including ?the meaning of every banner, utensil, piece of clothing, etc. (the red shoes, for instance, are a coomemoration of Christian martyrs -?-).
The Papal seal was much in evidence everywhere, and vividly included, at its bottom center, is the Santiago shell.? One of the commentators mentioned that the Santiago shell,?? also included in his insignia when he was a Cardinal, reflected the Pope's affection for the Santiago pilgrimage, adding?that the Pope had earned two compostelas in times past (!).

You may remember that a couple of years ago, when Benedict became Pope, a? Spanish hospitalero claimed to have received a postcard from him when he was a Cardinal thanking him for his attentions.? The hospitalero gave many newspapers interviews and appeared all over? Spanish TV showing the postcard, and he was much ridiculed and disbelieved. Later, exhaustive examinations revealed that the hand writing on the postcard was, indeed, that of the Pope's, and? someone at the Vatican? verified that the Pope? had in fact ?been in Spain shortly before the date of the postcard,.

The commentator in New York added that it is likely that the Pope will go to Santiago in 2010, ?which is, as we know, ?the next Holy Xacobean year.?

Much as I tried, I wasn't able to get anywhere near the Pope (sigh!), but if i can get a hold of the Seal I will post it for you all to see.

Hugs!

Rosina