[Gocamino] gocamino list misbehavior

David Hough on gocamino camino2003 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 4 12:49:48 PDT 2008

The gocamino list just bounced a bunch of messages
and disabled a number of subscriptions.     I went
through and re-enabled all the disabled and I will be
keeping a closer eye on things.

The underlying cause is that ISP's such as Comcast and
ATT have recently decided to get serious about
preventing consumer accounts from providing services
such as mailing lists by imposing limits on the number
of messages sent each day.      They of course would
prefer that business accounts be purchased instead at
much higher cost.      It's nominally about fighting
spam, which is a serious enough problem, but the
chosen
tactics suggest the other motivation.

I will continue to investigate alternative solutions
(for the technically inclined, finding an SMTP
remailer that is not a spammer and does not make the
problem worse.   Today's problem was caused by
an unsuccessful attempt to use authsmtp.com)

David Hough