[Gocamino] [saintjames] O Pino Industrial Complex development shut down.

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 10:31:49 PDT 2007

 Hello you all,
On an article published last Saturday in "La Voz de Galicia" it was reported that the existence, or lack thereof, of the Camino in ancient times in the O Pino?area where the proposed industrial complex would be built will determine whether the project will proceed or not.
The Association of Friends of the Camino de Santiago is seeking the intervention of ICOMOS, a branch of Unesco, to have the area at issue declared a historical Patrimony.? That organization has agreed with the Association that urbanization of the area would destroy the traces of the ancient Camino. It is being argued, however, that such route has long been in disuse, and that its continuation through the municipality of Santiago was, in fact, buried under asphalt when the Lavacolla airport was built.
The route of the present day Camino was officially recognized by the Xunta and, as things stand, FEDESA, the sponsor of the industrial project, assures that the portion of the present day Camino that might cross the industrial project will be treated with "exemplary" respect.

I should think that those of us who are glad that the project has been suspended might temper our optimism.? Spain is, as we know, the country in Europe whose industry and capitalistic development are growing by leaps and bounds, and the recent oil spills and widespread fires have played havoc with the economy in Galicia.? Whether preserving an unused symbolic route will prevail over economic development of a hurting area is to be seen. But both Manual? Braga, the octogenarian president of the Xunta, and Santiago's Archbishop, Msgr. Barrio, are passionately devoted to the Camino and its pilgrims and they carry a great deal of weight.

So.... we'll see,

Hugs!

Rosina