[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re:Two Sellos per Etapa for a Compostela

cheri powell cheri_powell at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 04:41:12 PDT 2007

I also walked the Camino Frances in 2005 but did not hear about or do any "two sellos" per day.  I received the official compostela certificate with no problem.  It seems odd that the church would require pilgrims to go bars, restaurants and other secular places in order to be considered a true pilgrim.

  Cheers,
  Cheri Powell

Pat Rush <PatRush1 at verizon.net> wrote:
  Thoughts on the two sello discussion: when I walked the Camino Frances in
2005, I was informed that for the last 100 km. all the pilgrims had to have
two stamps each day in order to receive the compostela. Perhaps I
misunderstood this. However, I was diligent and got my two sello each day,
usually from bars and refugios. Has this changed? Is my understanding
correct that in order to winnow out the "true" pilgrims from the "false",
this two sello requirement is going to be made for the entire length of the
Camino Frances? Will all churches, monasteries, convents, etc. have them,
in addition to bars, restaurants and refugios? Will the churches, etc. be
open all day so that pilgrims can acquire the stamps? Will this requirement
apply also to other routes, such as the Camino de la Plata (which I hope to
walk in spring of '08)?

I don't know what the answer is to the crowds of pilgrims converging on the
Camino, stretching the infrastructure to the breaking point. It seems as if
the Spanish church, especially the church in Galicia, is trying to keep
control of the pilgrimage route, but I don't think that's possible; the
sheer numbers of pilgrims will overwhelm the ecclesiastical system. And I
wonder why. What is the appeal, the draw, that drives so many of us to give
up our lives for 5 or 8 weeks, to undergo considerable discomfort (many of
us), to make this journey? And, to do it more than once, or to walk the
other routes?

Thoughts on negative messages: there have been spirited discussions on this
site, but I have never personally received anything negative or demeaning.
Rosina, I'm sorry that you have. Your messages are full of warmth and
information, knowledge and love of Spain.

Pat Rush, upstate New York