[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re:Two Sellos per Etapa for a Compostela

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 05:58:22 PDT 2007

Hello you all,
There already is a certificate of visit other than a Compostela that anyone in Santiago can get from the Pilgrims' Office.  Once when I couldn't complete the pilgrimage I got one, and friends of mine who went to Santiago from New York only for the Thanksgiving weekend also got one.  It is actually a good-looking certificate.
What seems to be desirable, in view of the large numbers of visitors expected, is that certificates of visit be given out by the tourist information offices, and not by the unconscionably overworked and besieged people at the Pilgrims' Office.
When one visit Jerusalem one can get a statement of visit from the tourist offices there, but if one want to get a pilgrim's certificate from the Holy Sepulchre Church one must go to Mass and receive communion; in that church all Christians may do so.  Somehow Santiago pilgrims tend to forget, or ignore, the fact that the Compostela is essentially a religious document.

The "two seals" per stage mostly consist of the albergue's seal and another one from the town, preferably from a church or "i" office.

I, for one, do not understand why people who find the decisions of those who oversee the Camino objectionable insist on having things their way.  After all, demonstrably, thousands and thousands of others, in ever-increasing numbers,  have no problem with such decisions; and there are so many other possible pilgrimages that can be made free from such infrastructure, like Lourdes, Fatima, Llhasa, etc.
Oh, well!

Hugs!

Rosina