[Gocamino] The Song of Compostela (arranged by Yamashita)

David Hough on gocamino camino2003 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 31 13:55:12 PDT 2007

The Japanese guitarist Kazuhito Yamashita performed in
San Francisco on October 20.    I did not attend or
even
hear about this until a week later, when I found the
program at another unrelated concert.    His own
program
notes included this piece about which I have no
further
information:

The Song of Compostela (arr. Yamashita)

The Galicia region of northwestern Spain faces out on
the Atlantic Ocean to the north and the west, while
the
southern part borders on Portugal.   Santiago de
Compostela is located at the center of this region and
is the location of the celebrated St Jacob Monastery,
which ever since the Middle Ages has been a holy site
to which pilgrims from all over Europe have made their
way.    The Song of Compostela is an arrangement by
Kazuhito Yamashita of several ancient songs handed
down in this region.    This beautiful and deeply
moving work gives one the impression of listening
to the narration of an old folk tale.