[Gocamino] (no subject)

Donald Schell donaldschell at saintgregorys.org
Mon Oct 15 15:26:24 PDT 2007

dear pilgrim friends,

This May 15-28 I'll be helping lead a bus-supported introduction to
the pilgrimage.  I've attached a flyer for it.  My co-leader is a
clergy colleague (another Episcopal priest) who has led numerous bus
pilgrimages to sites like Canterbury, Taize, Iona and various holy
sites in Wales.  This is the first time her regulars will be walking
and getting some understanding of the actual peregrination that leads
to a pilgrimage site and how the process and physical, spiritual, and
emotional effort and pleasure of walking change soften a pilgrim's
heart.

Maybe you know people who who have been fascinated by your Camino
experience, who are drawn to walk, but who also have felt uncertain
about simply putting their feet on the Way.  This could be the
invitation that helps such people find their way to Santiago and also
to come back.  Or maybe you know of someone who really wants to walk
but whose physical limitations would make it impossible to carry a
pack, or someone who wants to walk and is fit enough to give it a
try, but has reason to wonder what would happen if fatigue or aged
joints stopped them.  This group will be staying in comfortable
hotels and enjoying bus support will be from Spanish Steps.  We're
planning a daily choice between a longer and shorter walk and also
offering the daily option for those who need or want it of riding the
bus (and some visiting of interesting sites that walkers may pass
by).  We have space for 24 including Robbin Clark (my colleague) and me.

Robbin asked me to join her specifically to help first-time walking
pilgrims get a better feel for the Camino.   I plan for us begin each
day with singing (Santiago pilgrim songs and other songs about
pilgrimage, journeys, and walking), pilgrim readings, and personal
reflection to help our beginning peregrinos open themselves as fully
as possible to the experience (so we hope, some of them will return
and walk in the simpler way).

I've walked about 700 miles on the Camino, three different times,
walking, three crossings of the Pyrenees, and twice getting to
Santiago, and I wrote about my first camino in 'My Father, My
Daughter, Pilgrims on the Road to Santiago.'  My wife, a nurse who
does international AIDS work in Africa,  walked the second of these
journeys over Somport Pass and as far as Irache.  She'll be one of
our number and looks forward walking parts of the Camino she's not
seen yet and finally arriving in Santiago.

If you know of people who would enjoy this - please pass on the email
and the brochure (or print the brochure to give to them).

Many thanks!
	Donald Schell