[Gocamino] USA Confraternity

Jim Greer jbgreer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 06:57:38 PDT 2007

[ I ask the list's indulgence:  I read the digest version of posts, so
my questions may have already been asked and answered far more
eloquently that I now ask; my impatience in not waiting for those more
cogent replies is a weakness. ]

Recently Rosina said:
The Galicians in New Jersey have begun the process of commencing a
Santiago Confraternity.? While there are hundreds of Confraternities
all over the world, the U.S.A. is the only country in America without
one. (Some, like Brasil and Argentina and Mexico have several). There
was an attempt to form one in San Franciso a couple of years ago, but
the effort was abandoned.? The New York Brasilians have formed one,
but as ancillary to one based in their own country.? The one planned
by the New Jersey Galicians will be, if achieved, the first Santiago
Confraternity wholly established in the country.
At any rate, I know that most of you have zillions of questions about
details of the Camino activities as viewed by the powers that be in
Santiago.? You may want to put them together and when the young women
are here we can ask them about everything to our hearts content.

I am curious about this for many reasons, but I am also confused.
Perhaps this is because I am ignorant of so many things Camino.  There
is at least one American (USA) camino association:    "American
Pilgrims on the Camino"  http://www.americanpilgrims.com/
I understand that 'Confraternity' is not part of the organization's
name.  Is there some specific criteria by which you mean
Confraternity, other than name?

Kind regards,
Jim Greer