[Gocamino] A North American albergue on the Caminos

Martha Lopez mlcamino at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 16:09:50 PDT 2007

  Hola XM,

  Your idea reflects the deep desire of so many pilgrims to give back in some way for the wonderful hospitality that we all benefit from along the Camino.  One way I have found to do this is by volunteering in alberques and refugios, both on the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata.

  To me this has some advantages over establishing a specific North American refugio.  It enable volunteers to interact with townspeople and peregrinos in many locations as opposed to just one.  Additionally, establishing and maintaining a refugio would likely take considerable resources (time, money, organization, knowledge of the local country and customs, etc.), as well as an established group of volunteers to get things going.  Volunteering at already established refugios is something I can do right now.

  Also, some thought would need to go into deciding where to set up a new refugio.  The Camino Frances seems to be pretty well supplied, so one of the lesser travelled routes with longer etapas between refugios would seem to be a better choice.  Meanwhile, there are many options for voluteering.  The support is always much appreciated and the experience very rewarding.

  Martha in Sacramento

Elcaminomejala at aol.com wrote:

Hi friends. As we all know there's a British, Dutch, Brazilian, Spanish of
course, and ...., presence, on the Caminos, in the way of albergues. Has
anyone ever thought of a North American albergue, in an old convent somewhere on
the Caminos? It would definitely do a lot of good to brush up our image, among
other things. What do u all think? Best, xm

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOTJHbwRj4_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOTJHbwRj4)