[Gocamino] Leon - Santiago

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:10:45 PDT 2007

Devon,

It's do-able, but perhaps a bit entusiastic. Here are a series of etapas
that, if adhered to, will get you there in 9 walking days. These are the
elevation profiles of the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago; for
Leon onwards, look at days 19 through 27.

http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago/camino27etapas.msnw

Clicking on the image will download the two page PDF. Print page two and
take it with you.

Now about the training. A stairmaster is not the same as walking on streets
and trails with a pack on your back. Step AWAY from the treadmill, and put
on your pilgrim duds. Put on your Camino shoes, socks, pants, shirt and that
loaded pack. Now go walk a real-world 22 miles on Saturday. Walk another 20
on Sunday. How are you holding up? Could you do this for 10-15 days?

Leon to Santiago is just short of 200 miles (310.6 km); Astorga to Santiago
is about 160 miles (258.7 km). That's three 'regular' days, or two 'push
hard' days difference in walking. I've started from Astorga, and it's a nice
place to begin. RENFE shows up there from Madrid, as do buses. You have two
sets of 'mountains' to go over, the Montes de Leon and the Cordillera
Cantabrica, so it's a bit un-Florida-like. The Montes de Leon are a very
gradual incline/descent, the last leg of going from Villafranca to O
Cebreiro (las Cantabricas) is pretty steep. See the profiles to help plot
your days.

Another way of gaining an advantage is to travel super-light. In the end, we
really don't need most of the stuff we think we do. I planned doing a full
Camino using a lumbar pack, but switched to my regular pack at the last
minute.

Keep at it. Your Camino has actually already begun, you're just not in Spain
yet.

Buen Camino,

Grant

Grant Spangler