[Gocamino] pondering...and walking

Wendy MORRIS wendy.morris at ecu.edu.au
Wed Mar 7 02:48:52 PST 2007

Thank you Kathy for the beautiful poem.

I hope I'm not too late to reply....after promising to!

I think I mentioned before about being a collapsed Catholic. A convert,
I'd been very involved in the church for years. I had also had a
wonderful life changing spiritual experience within the church. However,
it was a gradual disillusionment after a major crisis (marriage breakup)
that caused me to start to question it all and eventually leave.

I ventured forth on my Camino with great joy, a sense of privilege and a
sort of calm happiness. How fortunate I felt, to have 6 weeks to walk
amongst nature and history!

I did wonder (only briefly) as I set out, if I would find any answers
some of the doubts and questions I had regarding the church and
Christianity in general.

I had planned with and started the pilgrimage with 2 other friends.
However, as the time to leave approached, my intuition seemed to
indicate that if I stayed with them throughout the journey I wouldn't
have a personal Camino experience and would somehow miss out on an
extraordinary experience.

So we went our separate ways and I walked alone, however I never felt
worried, afraid or alone, despite several occasions that would warrant a
few trembles! I remember thinking that this lack of fear must be a
spiritual blessing or grace of some sort.

When I ponder over my Camino adventure, there was one extraordinary and
beautiful experience I shared with a pilgrim one late afternoon as we
walked, talked and laughed together for several hours.  He seemed like
an angel dropped straight from heaven! Saying farewell was very
emotional.

This was but one of many wonderful experiences, all involving pilgrims,
the beauty of nature, and the mysterious history of the pilgrimage. A
theme for my pilgrimage seemed to develop as I walked along. "How I look
at things ...ie attitude and approach to every situation is everything".
This, as it unfolded seemed to be a sort "grace in progress" and was
present constantly throughout the journey.
This attitude thing sounds so, sort of, ordinary and obvious, however
when I met up with my friends and heard how they had fared along the
path, it confirmed how wise it was to walk by myself. They had many
complaints about the weather, other pilgrims accommodation, food...the
list went on!! I couldn't wait to "hit the track" by myself again and
revive my joy and gratefulness.

After spending some time writing this it's occurred to me that maybe it
is "grace given" to recognise a spiritual experience anyway. How does
one define one after all?

My whole Camino was a gift and, I've realised, a metaphor for life.
Every experience is surely tied up with how you receive it, how you look
at it and ponder over it. Which is what I've tried to do here!!!