[Gocamino] Pondering...

Russ Irwin rirwin2 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 01:26:28 PST 2007

Hi Kathy,

Sorry, I'm late with this reply.

>Is is possible to have a deep spiritual experience with no prior connection
>to the tradition of the Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James).

Not only is is possible, I think it's likely!

You probably remember me as one of the list subscribers back from late 2000, who made his pilgrimage
in 2001. Although I haven't written anything here for a few years, I've still been reading
everything.

I could best be called a "fallen away Catholic", although I was deeply religious as a child and was
an altar boy. My main intent in doing the Camino was both Spiritual and to test my endurance (I was
53 at the time). The Spiritual part was, and still is, the most important part however. While I may
not be religious, Jesus is my "Spiritual Ideal"! Many times when I am confronted with problematic
situations in life, I ask myself, "What would Jesus do in this situation?", and usually the answer
is instantaneous (although I may not like it).

One of my most profound moments on the Camino was as I was approaching Puente la Reina. The words to
a song from the 1970s started going over and over in my head, the main words being: "Things get a
little easier, once you understand." I just started crying for no reason and couldn't stop. I was
glad that I was walking by myself then and no one could see me. Just as important was the compassion
and friendliness of all the people from all the different countries that I crossed paths with.
Almost without exception they were some of the best people I have ever met!

My walking stick still sits in the corner of my bedroom and is one of my most prized possessions!

Take care,
Russ