[Gocamino] credential in Portugal

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 27 14:42:36 PDT 2007

I doubt very much that you would find any in Lisbon.  I had the
official Spanish version before I started in Lisbon in 2001, so I
didn't have to try to find one. I managed to get it stamped at the
cathedral in Lisbon, but it wasn't easy — it was easter Sunday and
the new Cardinal of Lisbon was giving his first Easter sermon as a
Cardinal. The place was packed with the television equipment and
personnel.

There were no albergues for Santiago pilgrims at that time, so I was
getting stamps from anyone I could find that had a rubber stamp. In
one coastal village, the owner of the pensão where I stayed did not
have one, so she send me back to the bartender who had sent me to the
pensão in the first place and he told me that the one place in town
that might have one was a beauty parlor up the street. (Note: the one
hotel in the town was closed down for renovations.) Since he had some
command of English and my Portuguese was minimal, he took me up there
to explain what I needed. In another town in that same area, no one
seemed to have a regular inked stamp, but the church had a massive
device that embossed a symbol into the credential.

Nowadays, there may be some available at Porto. The local Santiago
organization there was quite enthusiastic at that time and have
apparently been active since then, so they may have credentials
available by now. I believe that you would have to contact them ahead
of time via their website. I think that this is the URL:

http://www.caminhoportuguesdesantiago.com/PT/

For a recent report, check out:

http://72.14.253.104/search?
q=cache:Zs4gTTPrM2QJ:www.americanpilgrims.com/pdf_files/
camino_portugues.pdf+caminho+santiago+porto&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

The most likely place to get a regular credential would be at Tui,
just over the border (the Rio Minho/Minõ) in Spain. There is a
refugio there (but it wasn't open in May of 2001) and if credentials
aren't available there, the cathedral might have them. Since Tui is
over the requisite 100km from SdeC, there should be no problem about
getting it honored.

Bob S.