[Gocamino] [saintjames] Catholicism not required

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 08:18:16 PDT 2007

Hi John,

I’m sorry that you had such a bad experience.

All families have “bad apples”, and the Catholic family being so huge (more than one thousand million) has a goodly number of them.

I’ve met my share of bad priests, and then some. One of them once denied me absolution because I raised a philosophical question. He dismissed me and, cruelly, said that he hoped I didn’t get hit by a car and killed because I was walking around in sin and would go to hell for all eternity. Very upset, a few days later I talked about it with a young Jesuit priest who told me to realize that priests are human and, as such, full of imperfections, and that, anyway, priests are only the caretakers of institutional needs and not the essence of the church which is the relationship between the human soul and God.

 He also reminded me, quite emphatically, that it is the act of confession itself, the recognition of one’s sins and the resolve not to repeat them, that brings absolution, and that no human priest can do so except symbolically. The young Jesuit told me to think of  the other priest as a “nut”.

It seems that the priesthood, like the army, attracts some troubled and troublesome individuals who cause harm to themselves and others.  But then, there are the countless d legions of nuns and priests who are good, warm, dedicated, earnest, nurturing and very selfless.  Yet the ones that stick in our minds are the bad ones.  I wonder why.

At any rate, in the Camino, and the Santiago Cathedral,  several priests have told me that any Christian with a loving and receiving heart may follow Jesus’ words to”Do this in memory of Me”, that is, receive communion.

This is not an apology for the church; we Catholics are the primary recipients of the hurt and harm wreaked by its “bad apples”. But then, there is the rest of the 2,000 years old family:  supporting,  loving,  everywhere and profoundly inspiring with its John Paul IIs,

Mother Theresas, St. Francises, and Sisters  Joan and Ruth at the Santiago Cathedral.

Warm regards,

Rosina