[Gocamino] Via de la Plata vs. Le Puy vs. 20 km/day?

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Sat Jun 16 11:22:23 PDT 2007

All this talk about the Via de la Plata has got me thinking about it
as an option to Le Puy for fall 2007.

I was aiming for Le Puy, but the talk about crowding on the Le Puy
and French routes, the mud on Le Puy, the fact that Le Puy is a lot
of up and down, the higher costs in France, etc., is a little
discouraging.

My last camino taught me that I should plan on an average of
20km/day.  I can do more than that if needed, even 30 km.  But the
last time I did two days over 25km back to back I was dangerously
exhausted at the end of the second day.  So I am not going to start a
walk unless I can figure out a plan that does not exceed 20km/day
average.

So is 20km/day incompatible with the via de la plata?  Could I spend
two days in some places to make it work?  (IE. 30km day followed by
rest day followed by 30km day.  Walk a day then rest a day).

A few other considerations:  I speak good Spanish and passable
French. I probably would not be able to get away for more than three
weeks on the trail.  (21 days times 20km/day is around 600km).  I am
willing to walk a stretch that does not finish in Santiago, having
walked there once.  My schedule is flexible, so I can start at any
time, but lean to fall or springtime.  I am not a fan of crowds, but
would not be happy if I went days without seeing other pilgrims or
walkers.  Costs are a concern, but not the only factor.  All else
being equal, I would prefer France, if only because my French needs
practice.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com