[Gocamino] Fw: postings from Rosina

Donald Schell donaldschell at saintgregorys.org
Thu Jun 7 06:10:54 PDT 2007

Rosina,

I really like the spirit of your description of the varieties of
liturgy in the Roman Catholic Church.  And I was moved at the
description of the pilgrim mass at Roncesvalles.  My daughter Maria
and I didn't make it there - after our late start from St. Jean, we
got badly lost, and arrived in Roncesvalles quite exahausted just as
people were leaving the church.

Three times on the Camino and several pilgrims' masses at various
churches along the way later,  I hold those I have had the privilege
of attending like a memory bouquet of wonderful flowers.  Each
different and unique, sometimes very, very simple, sometimes touching
or beautiful in surprising ways, and yet each the same.

Re-visiting Ship of Fools also reminded me that my congregation in
San Francisco had a mystery worshipper from Ship of Fools describe a
visit in 2000 -

  http://ship.saintsimeon.co.uk/Mystery/2000/197Mystery.html

and that in turn reminds me of a visit to New Skete Monastery in
Cambridge, New York, an Orthodox monastic community with a renewed
Eastern liturgy where they're reintroducing processions of the whole
congregation (hints of a mini-pilgrimage?) that Christian worship had
in the early centuries.

Thanks for tender, devout, and touching musings.

love,
donald