[Gocamino] [saintjames] Ship of Fools

Dennis Harrod dennisharrod at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 13:29:03 PDT 2007

Rosina et al:

Your description of the difficulties of receiving communion in a crowded
church took me back to two years ago when my daughter and I attended mass in
Melide on the Feast of Corpus Christi. It was a beautiful evening in late May
and the plaza had been adorned with illustrations of the feast in flowers and
colored sand or sawdust and awaited the procession that would follow the mass.
The mass was so crowded that we stood crushed against the back wall while
others filled the plaza outside. When it came time for communion, priest and
attendants scattered throughout the crowd rather than have the crowd try to
appoach the altar. A couple of attendants went into the plaza to serve those
outside. Meanwhile, inside, communion had been given to all but still no sign
of the attendants who had gone outside. The priest remained at the lectern (or
the pulpit; I'm not sure what you call it) and waited. And waited. I seem to
remember him drumming his fingers and looking at his watch, but that's
probably a figment of my imagination. After about 10 or 15 minutes, the
attendants returned, haveing served the throng in the plaza. Mass resumed,
ended and the procession began. It was another lovely example of adapting to
circumstances along the Camino.

Dennis

Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada mas.

During the last Holy Year the priests