[Gocamino] "Within the Way" Video

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Mon Jul 9 13:14:21 PDT 2007

Hi,
Knowing and loving the Camino, as I do, there is no?better video about it than "The Way Within Without". It was done by professional cineasts who counted with impressive financial and professional resources to carry out the project. The director himself is a pilgrim.? (In her wonderful book about the Camino Sue Kenney says that at the end of the pilgrimage, we acquire the honor of being pilgrims is ours for the rest of our lives.)?
Yet, I know of at least one person who did not like it much.? In her book, Sue Kenney also writes, referring to a fellow pilgrim that griped about everything, that our feelings about things exterior are a reflection of the baggage that we carry inside. It is a basic principle of psychology that when we sense sublimity and beauty in something that is not related to our personal values we?feel? threatened and must attack that something in order to regain our emotional equilibrium.??We meet the truth of that principle almost daily.
(In Sue's book, however, the pilgrim in question had sufficient psychic resources to overcome her inner prejudices and to grow out of them).

At any rate, one's opinion is is colored by the emotional-cultural-ethical-religious glasses that one wears.... As?it must be, I suppose.

I just love the "Way Within Video"; within the last two weeks two pilgrims, one a multi-lingual hospitalera/pilgrim and the other a seasoned repeat (and repeat) pilgrim?have seen it for the first time and they both rave about it.
I myself saw it again and found more and more things in it to like and to admire.
It cannot be talked about "in a nutshell", not by me. The best I can do is that it follows three pilgrims, a?middle-aged Dutch Catholic, a young Brasilian Catholic/Macumbist and a young Japanese Buddhist.? ?It would appear that the three were chosed by the film maker for being so different, and so alike.
The video is not a travelogue, nor a step-by-step guide, nor one of those that emphasize speaking to a bartender, and what was eaten, and the villagers, and so on.? It is far wider, quite lyric, profound, and very beautiful.? (I wish I had a transcript of it!!!!). It does show some of the familiar places, some of the known faces, and places..... but it is mostly a "Way Within" and without end.

The final sentiments expressed by the pilgrims are striking, and very moving: the Dutch guy says that his Camino was the realization that "Faith is knowing that there is a purpose to everything and a meaning to all and that, while we are alive, in time it will all become clear"
The Brasilian young woman said that she "glimpsed Santiago in a thousand?n a thousand faces and heard him in a thousand voices....Santiago is my unknown friend, waiting for me. I'll continue to try to find him and some day I will".

To the Japanese young woman the Camino meant the need "to lift our little finger just a bit more, ....as transitory witnesses to wonder and mystery".

Amen!

Rosina

?

Also, if you were to buy just one video about the Camino Frances, which one would you get?

Thanks!?

Carolyn

mathch at juno.com

?