[Gocamino] Meeting in VA in March?

Macy, Zita ZMacy at cbnorcal.com
Thu Jan 25 16:15:07 PST 2007

Here you go.  Registration forms and Travel & Lodging information are on
our website.  But if anyone has difficulty getting what they need, let
me know.

Zita

Tenth Annual Pilgrim Gathering
Pilgrimage to America
Williamsburg, Virginia
March 9-11, 2007

Dear Fellow and Future Pilgrims,

The annual Gathering of Pilgrims returns to its founding place in
Williamsburg, Virginia for its tenth anniversary.  This Gathering will
enjoy a special historic character because 2007 is also the 400th
Anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, the first permanent English
settlement in the New World B so we are calling this celebration a
Pilgrimage to America.   Our focus remains the Camino de Santiago in
Spain, but will also reflect on pilgrimage in other times, places and
traditions.

American Pilgrims on the Camino, the national organization which now
sponsors and supports the annual Gathering of Pilgrims, has built
important bridges to the wider Camino community.

Before the Gathering, a Training Workshop for future volunteer
hospitaleros will be held in Williamsburg March 6-8.  Look for details
and registration information on the American Pilgrim web site,
http://www.americanpilgrims.com/, or contact Daniel De Kay at
dandekay at sbcglobal.net.

Official representatives from Santiago de Compostela and Galicia will be
coming to Williamsburg to share in our conversations.  There will be
fresh print materials and Camino souvenirs, of course, but also
presentations in English and Spanish on news of the Camino.  They will
host us for a buffet of imported Spanish tapas for our traditional
Friday casual repast as we reconnect with old friends and make new ones.
And the Minister of Tourism of the Community of Galicia in collaboration
with the Embassy of Spain in Washington, DC has invited George Greenia
to help organize a touring exhibit of Art and Photography of the Camino
de Santiago to tour North America.  Guests from both sponsoring groups
will be on hand in Williamsburg to inaugurate the exhibition in honor of
American Pilgrims on the Camino.

Hospitality at the Tenth Gathering will strive for something of the
simplicity of the pilgrims= refugio.  Newly trained hospitaleros will
help extend a warm welcome for our albergue in Virginia.  Friday
pre-Gathering workshops may include hands-on sessions about boots and
backpacks, first aid on the trail, the art and craft of photography, and
a session for first-timers to confer with veterans about how to travel,
pack and prepare.

Saturday morning sessions will respond to a wide variety of potential
interests.  Those of a classical bent can hear about Pilgrimage in
Ancient Greece and Rome, and those happier in a more colonial ambience
can learn about The Faiths of our Founding Fathers and how they
understood their pilgrimage to forge a utopian nation.  Other
presentations will discuss Physical Training for Trekking, the Foods and
Wines of Spain, and Prayer and Pilgrimage. One of the Earliest American
Pilgrimages will be relived with slides and a first hand report by a
pilgrim from 1974, while some of our freshest pilgrims - local college
students who trekked in 2005 and 2006 - will speak as Younger Voices on
the Camino.

Saturday afternoon we move to the historic Wren Building on the campus
of the College of William & Mary.  The Wren Chapel will be our venue for
performances of the Music of Pilgrimage, while elsewhere there will be
simultaneous presentations on Medieval Pilgrims and Their Military Alter
Egos, the Crusaders.

At the Saturday night banquet our featured guest speaker will be Edward
Stanton, author of The Road of Stars to Santiago.  And on Sunday we will
re-create our own pilgrimage to America by making our traditional
pilgrims= walk together on Jamestown Island, with an interfaith morning
prayer service in the restored ruins of the first English Christian
church in the New World and a picnic lunch afterward.

The program is still evolving, so stay tuned to the web site of American
Pilgrims on the Camino, http://www.americanpilgrims.com/, for news and
updates.

The Gathering of Pilgrims is all about learning about the Camino de
Santiago but also recovering the spirit of openness and friendship that
allows our pilgrim stories to find their true voice and most
understanding listeners.  We encourage you to bring items you have
collected (relics, music, sculpture, carvings, etc) or created (stories,
books, poems, art, photography) that have particular meaning for you;
there will be a special place for these to be displayed and shared.

We look forward to seeing you in historic Williamsburg for the 2007
Gathering of Pilgrims and a Pilgrimage to Americ

ALL REGISTRATION AND EVENT INQUIRIES TO
Andrew Cunningham (ascunn at wm.edu) or
Michelle Thorne (mrthor at wm.edu).

Zita