[Gocamino] (no subject)

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 08:52:53 PST 2007

Hello you all,
I am posting a summary of the 2006 pilgrims data which were sent to me in great detail. (134 countries listed!)
But first, you'll be interested to know that the headlines of all the newspapers in Vienna today, Sunday, read: "Ich bin drin. Und ich bin drin, um zu gewinnen", above Hillary's full page smiling picture. The Cintons are very well liked here; last night three Spaniard pilgrims took me to a "Heurigen" (beer and wine tavern) in the Vienna Woods, and the tavern owner's prideful possession turned out to be a huge picture of Bill Clinton at the tavern singing a tavern song with him. Apparently Bill enjoyed himself very much since he later invited the owner and his wife to visit him in Washington! (What a small world ours is, what a dreamy place Vienna is, and how very wonderful it is to be alive.)
Now:
There were 100,377 Compostela recipients in 2006 (about 6,500 more than in 2005).
40,961 were women and 59,461 were men.
Purely religious pilgrims were 41,793; religious-cultural were 41,793, and purely cultural 8,858.
18,289 went by bike, 294 rode horses, 81,783 walked and 11 went by wheelchair.
930 were under 12 years of age, 9,780 were between 13 and 18, 12,546 were between 19 and 25, 22,720 between 26 and 35, 16,005 between 36 and 45, 17,681 between 45 and 55, 15,872 between 56 and 65, 4,606 between 66 and 75 and 237 between 76 and 90 (!).
82,407 followed the French Way, 804 the English Way, 5,378 the Northern Way   (including me!), 6,467 the Portuguese Way, 1,588 the Primitive Way, 3,523 the Via de la Plata and 210 other routes.
In summary, 267 pilgrims were from Africa, 3,976 from North America, 2,226 from South America, 504 from Asia, 868 from Oceania (?) and 92,536 from Europe.
(Because there are so many countries listed, please let me know the particular country that you may be interested in and I'll post the relevant figures. I can tell you, meanwhile, that 1,546 came from Canada and 1,909 from the United States).
Also, let me know if you would like to have the month-by-month figures and information on the professions of the pilgrims.  I can tell you here that there were 3 oikoten (there hadn't been any for a while)
The precise point at which pilgrims commenced the pilgrimage, in the various routes, is now also available.

Will someone please share the above message with Santiagöbis?

'Got to run now,.. again.

Big, big hug!

Rosina